Friday, June 19, 2015

Victory Garden Season!

Hey Yall! Wow it has been awhile since i have written anything on here. Well it is summer and what does that mean?
1) Sitting by the pool
2) Drinking a alcoholic fruity drink (If you are old enough, anyone under 21 stick to the Virgin drinks)
3) Partying
4) Making your Victory Garden.
5) Finding that one cute guy to take you to that awesome country concert you have always wanted to go to.

Wait...what was number four? Yes I said it. A Victory garden.

You don't know what that is? Shame. Well let me tell you in a brief description. A Victory Garden is a garden like your ordinary flower garden. Instead of daisies, sun flowers and pansies, there are tomatoes, zucchini, lettuce, cabbage, potatoes, strawberries and my favorite rhubarb! Man my mom makes the best Strawberry Rhubarb Jam! Anyways... the official definition is "A vegetable garden, especially a home garden, planted to increase food production during a war." If you think about it the USA is in a war so it would be a legit Victory Garden. Where did it all start though? You can thank your Great Grandmother, or Grandmother.

In World War Two when we were being pulled from both sides of the world fighting, women were at home taking care of the children, working in the factories and plowing the lands. Women at home had books that would be used to buy certain foods, such as 2 lbs of sugar, a cut of meat canned foods any thing that you see in the grocery store today was rationed. I guess that was how we had gotten "Food Stamps" That we have today! Well to grow more produce they made "Victory Gardens." Government propaganda (Or really convincing fliers) said that it was patriotic to have a victory garden. They also said to can all of your foods so they were preserved. To save during the winter months. Smart Moms!

Woman did A LOT back on the home front when the boys were fighting! So how do you make one?
Simple! get plants from your local store or green house (Luckily I have a friend who works at my local store and will bring me home plants!) get yourself some nice dirt, and plant! It is seriously that simple. Since I live in an apartment I have mine in little pots works about the same, but much easier to move if I need too.

"So what Veggies can I plant?" 
I plant tomatoes. potatoes, zucchini, lettuce, cabbage, rhubarb, green beans cucumbers, cilantro, mint, dill, squash. really its anything and EVERYTHING! Just make sure your soil has the correct vitamins for the plants ( Potatoes need to have an acidic soil while, Tomatoes need more of an Alkaline soil). always look up which plants need different PH levels.

"When can I start?"
Right after reading this! If you have potatoes you can plant them in the ground right now! Just cut them in half and stick it in the ground! Make sure you remember where it is though so you can water it! Make a hill to protect the plant when it sprouts.

"I live in the city there isn't much room on my balcony, is there a more space saving way to make my 'Victory garden?"
Glad you asked! Yes there is! You can make a Pallet Shelf. A quick little DIY project The example I have has pictures in it but you can put the plants in and it has a place for the water to drain out!
to find out how to make it, Click this Link http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-RUSTIC-PALLET-WOOD-SHELVES/

After a day of gardening, I think its time to kick back, relax, and listen to some 40's songs with our sweet tea!!



No comments:

Post a Comment