Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Think Before You Do Something

I work at a grocery store. I know what you are thinking. Why on earth would she start off with that? Well the fact is, I do. I work at the service desk of a grocery store. No it isn't Walmart. It isn't the greatest job, heck I thought it was just going to be a pit stop in my life. What really gets on our nerves in my position is that, there will only be one person at the desk for thirty minuets to an hour.

This was the case today. I was all alone and we have a toll road. You get a sticker, fill out some information, and TAH-DAH you are on your way once we have faxed the application to the company (Cool for the customers, bad news for the employees who have to use the ancient fax machine that won't send most of the time).

Just as I was helping the customer get the fax and making sure it sent, a random woman comes up and is livid. She says to me "Can you get someone else back here? These people have been sitting here for the past ten minuets." It was not that long that they were waiting there. It took maybe five minuets to explain the application to the customer and getting it sent. They were there for no more than three minuets. I looked around, obviously I was the only person working and my customer had many questions about the application. I wasn't just going to say "Sorry sir you are on your own from here" and help the other customers. I would be pretty mad if someone did that to me.

It being my luck, my co worker had just gone to lunch to abide by state law and my bosses were busy with bagging and making sure that other people had breaks, and lunches. I calmly say "I can try, I am all alone until my co worker comes back." She didn't like my answer. Now it would have taken almost three minuets to get the fax through and I can hear the old DSL sound when your mom wanted to use the phone but you were on the computer using the internet (90's Kids you know what I am talking about).

I finally get one of my bosses to help me (Which is rare with the rush we had), the random woman who had yelled at me, hadn't even needed help. No she bolted once my boss was there. Honestly, I didn't need her attitude. Since I had just put my dog, that I had for half of my life, down no more than five days ago. It was already hard to come to work, I didn't need a person yelling at me because I was being courteous to another customer.

So just remember the next time you get impatient in a line at a grocery store, some of us are having a really bad week and we are human too, we can only move so fast and believe it or not, we have emotions, we have a soul. Also remember the kindergarten "Golden Rule" Treat People how you want to be treated. So if you don't want to be yelled at because I finally snapped after all of the stress, don't yell at me (No I didn't yell at the woman, I haven't snapped yet.)

Alright while all of us think back on this lets all just grab a sweet tea, and sit back and relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment